|30517 probably seen here stabled at Feltham yard|
Unlike many steam locomotives saved from scrapyards, such as the one at Barry, Wales, owned by Dai Williams, Class H16 30517 was not lucky enough to avoid death from the cutter's torch.
Designed by the Scottish locomotive designer, Robert Urie, 4-6-2 30517, and four others of the class, were built at the London and South Western Railway's Eastleigh Works in Hampshire, England over the end of 1921 and the beginning of 1922.
Unlike their sister locomotives, the "G16 "Black Tanks", which were used for shunting duties at the Feltham marshalling yard near Hounslow, West London, the H16 "Green Tanks" were intended for hauling freight trains amongst yards around the London area.
The nickname, "Green Tanks" came about when the locomotives passed to the Southern Railway and were painted in lined olive green livery for limited passenger use.
During World War II, 30517 and the other four of the class were re-painted in a plain black livery; they never regained their Southern Railway green livery.
In the 1950's, the H16's were regularly seen moving empty coaching stock between Clapham Junction and Waterloo station.
With the introduction of diesel motive power rapidly increasing momentum, the final days of the 30517 and the other H16's had arrived.
In November 1962, 30516, 30518, 30519 and 30520 were withdrawn from Feltham, with 30517 following them a month later.
The complete class of H16's was scrapped.