.post img { border:5px inset #d2d2d2; padding:2px; }

Translate 'Along These Tracks' Railway Photo Blog Posts For Your Chosen Language

'Along These Tracks' Railway Blog Posts

Friday 14 April 2017

Night Photo Class 66013 and 66502 GM Diesel Locos Rugby 2016

Class 66013 & 66502 at Rugby Lit By Lamps


Night Photo of EWS Freight diesel locomotive class 66013 pauses briefly at rugby station England 2016
Class 66013 Loco           Photo: Charles Moorhen


Class 66013 was built in October 1998 and allocated to Toton TMD (Notts.).


Photographing a Class 66 diesel locomotive, or any other class for that matter, alongside a platform at Rugby railway station at night has, for one reason or another, always been out of reach for me.


At least that was the position prior to the 25th August 2016 when everything changed.

I was visiting Rugby station on that day photographing the station buildings on a windy, rainy night.

At one point during the evening I was sheltering beneath the platform canopy waiting while a shower of rain to pass by before venturing out into the open once more.

Glancing towards the southern end of the platform I saw EWS Class 66013 diesel freight locomotive coming slowly into the station, stopping about 25 yards from where I was standing; my camera on its tripod stood close by and ready for action.

As I jotted down the number I noticed someone jump from the cab and walk towards one of the nearby station buildings.  Was it the driver?


I didn't wait to find out.  Grabbing camera and tripod I ran as fast as was safely possible towards the EWS liveried freight locomotive.  At the instant the tripod feet settled on the platform surface I saw a man - the driver or new driver? - leaving the same building.  Would I have time to grab a shot?

Knowing I would need around twenty seconds exposure for a photograph I framed, focused as fast as I could, prayed, and hit the shutter button.

The seconds crawled by and I willed them to move quicker towards the magic 20 seconds.  I was certain that Class 66 66013 would begin to move before the time was up.

Finally exposure time was up and the shutter closed with a satisfying click.  I'd done it!

But this was not the end of capturing a diesel locomotive on my camera that night.



Night Photo of Freightliner diesel locomotive Class 66502 named Basford Hall Centenary 2001 at rugby station England 2016
Freightliner Locomotive Class 66502    Photo: Charles Moorhen



A short while later, after photographing Virgin Trains Class 390 128, I was amazed to be going through the whole nerve-shredding process again.  I could hardly believe my luck.

The second time the diesel locomotive in question was Freightliner liveried Class 66 66502 'Basford Hall Centenary 2001'.


As I headed home that night, damp and happy, a random thought kept running through my mind - 'photograph one, get one free!'

Class 66502 was built in July 1999 and allocated to Leeds Midland Road TMD.
 


Don't forget to subscribe to  'Along These Tracks' railway blog to get all new posts and updates sent directly to you.



Blog update:

Previous photo posts are now easier to find.  

All blog posts are now listed alphabetically on the right side of your screen; under the heading, 'Previous Photo Posts'.


"I hope this makes your search easier".






No comments:

Post a Comment

'Along These Tracks' Featured Post of Over 200 Images

Class 387115, 387123, 387124 Thameslink Trains Bedford 2015

  Class 387115 Thameslink Trains EMU Bedford 2015        Photo: Charles Moorhen     C lass 387123 Thameslink Trains EMU & Class 222023 D...

'Along These Tracks' Popular Photo Posts